Present Simple - Present Continuous
Ex.1 Compare the use of the Present Continuous (Progressive)
and the Present Simple (Indefinite) tense-forms.
1. What are you doing, Jane? Are you still looking for your gloves?
You are always losing your things!
2. What does he do for a living? He sings and plays the guitar.
3. I'm learning to drive a car. Next month I am getting my driving license.
4. Tom drives very well. He is always very careful when driving.
5. We usually grow beans in our garden but this year we are not growing
6. Do you understand the problems they are discussing?
7. It is cold today. It is snowing all day. It often snows at this time of the year.
8. You will help us a lot if you continue your investigation.
9. Mike doesn't speak English, does he?
10. Listen to them! What language are they speaking?
11. The Moon goes round the Earth.
12. The family are having lunch now.
13. How many meals a day do you usually have?
14. Don't worry. Father is coming back soon.
15. Skill comes with practice.
Ex.2 Choose between the Present Simple (Indefinite) and
the Present Continuous (Progressive) tense-forms.
1. They usually sit/are sitting for hours without saying a word.
2. She is keeping/keeps her room tidy as a rule.
3. Don't ask me what spinach is tasting/tastes like. I've never tried it.
4. Ann is applying/applies this ointment every other day.
5. We are seeing/see each other only occasionally.
6. Next week we sign/are signing the contract.
7. Could you turn off the television? Nobody watches/is watching it now
8. How do you get/are you getting to your office?
9. The water in this lake seldom is freezing/freezesin winter.
10.Water doesn't exist/isn't existing on the Moon.
Ex.3 Put the verbs in brackets into the Present Simple or
the Present Continuous.
1. What time (you/get up) in the morning?
2. (you/go) to Tom's party on Saturday night?
3. Sharon (always/complain) about the weather. She's never happy.
4. Jason (know) a lot of British people.
5. The children (build) a sandcastle at the moment.
6. The moon (shine) at night.
7. Jack (seem) to be unhappy these days.
8. Sam (stay) with his aunt at the moment.
9. It rarely (snow) in my country.
10. The bus (leave) at half past five.
11. My parents (look for) a new house at the moment.
12. Water (boil) at 100°C.
Ex.4 A Put in is/are/do/does
B Put in am not/isn't/aren't/don't/doesn't.
All these sentences are negative.
1. Tom … work in the evenings.
2. I'm very tired. I … want to go out this evening.
3. I'm very tired. I … going out this evening.
4. George … working this week. He's on holiday.
5. My parents are usually at home. They … go out very often.
6. Barbara has traveled a lot but she … speak any foreign languages.
7. You can turn off the television. I … watching it.
8. There's a party next week but we … going.
Ex.5 Put the verbs in brackets into the Present Simple or
the Present Continuous.
A: Good morning, Catherine. A special guest ….. (come) to our hotel
B: Really! ….. (I/know) who it is?
A: I ….. (think) you do. He … (star) in the TV series “ Rooftop”
at the moment.
B: It ….. (be) Paul Roberts, isn't it? When ….. (he/come)?
I can't wait to meet him in person!
A: At 3 o'clock this afternoon. But there are a few things
you ….. (need) to know. First of all, he ….. (love) flowers. He
also ….. (enjoy) having his breakfast in the dining-room, not in his
B: Why ….. (he/stay) at our hotel?
A: Because he ….. (want) some peace and quiet and he ….. (not/like)
to be disturbed by reporters.
B: I see. Well, let's hope that everything will be okay while he …..
Ex.6 Correct the mistakes.
Ouch! You standon my foot! You're standing
1. They are having breakfast in bed on Sunday mornings.
2. He can't come to the phone now. She has a shower .
3. We are needing an answer from you before Wednesday.
4. I'm studying a lot now because I have exams next week.
5. She don't eat meat at all.
6. They always are late.
7. Do you go out tonight?
8. -Are you going to the park this afternoon?
- I don't know. It's depending on the weather.
Ex.7 Write questions in the Present Continuous or the Present Simple.
1. - What are you eating? (you / eat)
- A cheese sandwich.
2. -Where … lunch today? (you / have)
- At home. My mum's making pasta.
3. - What … ? (he / do)
- He's an accountant.
4. - … this weekend? (you / go away)
- No, we're staying here.
5. - … to eat out tonight? (you / want)
- Yes, that would be nice. Where shall we go?
6. - What … ? (she / cook)
-I don't know, but it smells good.
Ex.8 Open the brackets using the Present Simple or
the Present Continuous tense-forms.
1. Have you got a light? - Sorry, I (not/smoke).
2. My wife has never been to France. She (plan) to go there next
3. Your car is so clean. How often you (wash) it?
4. Students often (think) that exams (be) a nuisance.
5. Peter seldom (tell) the truth. You can't believe everything he (say).
6. You (understand) what he (talk) about?
7. Nancy (look) like her father.
8. What you (do)? - I'm an engineer.
9. The soup (taste) good.
10. Your brother (be) a student now? - Yes, he (study) at university.
11. Ann (play) the piano better than Susan. And who (play) now?
- I (think) it (be) Susan.
12. What you (do) tomorrow evening? - I (go) to the theatre.
13. I usually (not/have) breakfast before I (go) to work.
14. She often (take) my dictionary but seldom (remember) to bring it back.
If tomorrow she (ask) for the dictionary again, I shan't give it to her.
15. What a beautiful dress you (wear)! When did you buy it?
16. He is a night watchman. He (work) at night and (sleep) in the
17. She (be) a dietician. She (help) people to choose the right food.
18. They (say) if you (see) a black cat, you (not/have) good luck.
19. Jane (be) in Paris now. She (learn) French there.
20. If Peter (continue) to drive his car carelessly, he'll get into a traffic
21. You (hear) this noise downstairs? What can it be?
22. Have you heard about Tom? He (build) a new house now.
23. You'll have to put on your rubber boots if it (not/stop) raining in a
24. If I (have) some time in the evening, I'll repair your bicycle.
25. Excuse me, but you (stand) on my foot.
26. She (give) two concerts in London next week.
27. What time the children (come) out of school, as a rule?
28. Why you (smell) the meat? It (not/be) fresh?
29. She always (let) me down!
30. You (believe) in God?
31. You always (complain) about the weather!
32. Take the saucepan off the cooker! The water (boil).
33. I'm afraid you can't see my daughter at the moment.
She (have) a music lesson. She always (have) it on Friday mornings.
34. She (be) still ill, but she (get) better now.
35. It often (rain) here at this time of the year?
36. Don't interrupt me while I (talk) to somebody else.
37. He's a doctor, but he (not/practise) at the moment.
38. What he (do)! - He (try) to get the car started.
39. In Britain most shops (close) at 5.30 p.m.
40. I'm sorry it's so noisy, but we (move) the furniture.
41. Where you (come) from? - I (come) from Russia.
42. Flowers always (make) a good present.
43. Alice never (go) to work by bus. She (walk) through the park, as a
44. What he (mean) by saying this? It (sound) strange.
45. I (write) to my parents twice a month.
46. She always (be late) for classes!
47. I (write) this letter to you while the children (play) on the beach.
Actually, they (play) here the whole day.
48. If we (start) at nine, we'll have plenty of time for the shops.
We (be) free till half past four.
49. They always (tell) him everything. So I (think), he (know) about it
50. This carpet (cost) 30 dollars. Why not buy it?
51. He still (try) to find a job but there (not/be) much work available at
52. Believe me, I (think) about you all the time.
53. I (not/know) how they (make) both ends meet. They (have)
six children and (not/earn) very much.
54. My mother (think) that hitch-hiking (be) dangerous.
55. The police (look) into the matter now.
56. People (like) stability in life.
57. They (open) a new McDonald's tomorrow.
58. The English (believe) that their home (be) their castle.
59. Mike (arrive) in three days. We can't wait until he (come). Everyone
(look forward) to seeing him.
60. What a wonderful day we (have) today!
61. When he (have) a problem to solve he will work at it until he (find)
62. The equator (run) round the middle of the earth.
63. Jack and Helen (live) in the Hague. At the moment they (travel)
64. When snakes (lose) their skins?
65. The English (like) coalfires even though they (not/produce) much
66. My brother (not/care) very much what he (look) like.
67. She always (lose) her temper!
68. A hot-air balloon (float) because hot air (be) lighter than cool air.
Hot air balloon (consist) of a basket in which the pilot and the crew
(stand), a gas burner and a large balloon.
69. As soon as doctors (find) an answer to AIDS, they will be able to
70. You (look) great after your holiday! - Yes, I (feel) wonderful!
71. You can borrow my Walkman unless you (lose) it.
72. Have I told you about how Ann (get on) at college?
73. He (be) intelligent but he (lack) common sense.
74. The house (be) in good condition but it (need) to be repainted.
75. He (waste) his time looking for a job there, they (not/ take) any staff
76. The man who (live) opposite us sometimes (come) over for a cup of
77. She (dislike) asking people for favours.
78. If I (have) a headache I generally (take) an aspirin.
79. In England it always (rain) and the wind constantly (blow)\
80. If you (heat) ice, it (melt).
81. Don't take the newspaper away! I still (read) it.
82. How I (look) in this dress? It (suit) me?
83. Much of eastern England (have) a soil that (produce) crops of a very
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-07-22
headinsider.info. Все права принадлежат авторам данных материалов.